What can I do for Plastic Free July? Part 1.
Plastic causes major issues for our wonderful planet and due to its convenience we can't seem to escape it. The idea of cutting plastic out of our lives can seem utterly impossible, and for most people that is probably true. The zero waste lifestyle is not for everyone, and is not practical for everyone. The most important thing is to try and use as little plastic as possible. That is why 'Plastic Free July' is so important! This campaign was created by Rebecca Prince-Ruiz who is the founder of the Plastic Free foundation. If you would like to learn more about her work and campaign check out their website here https://www.plasticfreejuly.org/about-us/ and maybe even take their challenge.
Here at Practical Green Life we are all about making sustainable swaps that suit you. For this July we have a few options for cutting down your use of unnecessary plastic:
1) Try reusing your plastic bottles or getting a reusable metal or glass bottle to take with you on the go.
2) Get yourself a reusable straw! As it's summer and cocktail season, straws could be making a regular appearance in your home. If this is the case why not try getting a pack of metal ones, or even a personalised glass straw. Some companies even make carry cases so you can take it with you on the go.
3) Take a reusable bag on your next shop. I love a good shopping bag, especially as you can get them made from recycled bottles. This can be a very manageable sustainable swap for plastic free July that also feels like a new accessory.
4) Try out some bamboo cotton pads. If you have a regular skincare routine, why not try swapping to reusable bamboo cotton pads? Not only are they better for the environment than traditional single-use cotton pads but they feel great too!
5) Coffee cups. Get yourself a reusable coffee cup. If you are like me it's more about remembering to bring the one you already have!
You don't have to go zero waste for plastic free July, but it really is worth taking the time to make a goal for this month and making a change. When you are being conscious about your plastic use, you are making a positive impact on our lovely planet! Check out our part 2 post to see where you can make more changes this July!